Skip to main content

From Ram Ram to Ctrl+V: A Spiritual Upgrade

Chanting Ram Ram with a burning diya, laptop. and diary

Turns out retirement comes with a starter kit.

Not gold watches anymore — diaries and pens.

Apparently, the universal assumption is that the moment you stop clocking in, you'll develop an urgent need to journal your feelings in cursive.

When my mother retired, her students gave her a diary and a pen with the quiet confidence of people gifting a fire extinguisher, "just in case you combust with free time."

As I hit the official Indian retirement number, the one they print on forms. I made the mistake of telling my mother I didn't know what to do with myself now.

Her face lit up with the joy mothers reserve for recycling old material on children.

"I'll give you a diary," she said. "Just write Ram Ram." Repeatedly. Page after page. Instant purpose, zero creativity required, and technically religious practice.

I laughed and told her I wasn't going to write anything like that. I was going to copy and paste it on the computer.

She didn't even blink.

"Do whatever you want," she said, "but this is still the best use of your time if you have nothing else to do."

Which is either deep wisdom or the most passive-aggressive blessing I've ever received. Possibly both.

It all reminded me of something I once heard: an actor talking about his son's love for anime and K-dramas: "Entertainment changes. Things change. Everything changes."

Which is either the plot of every K-drama ever made, or the entire philosophy of Vedanta, condensed into one sentence and delivered with better subtitles.

And that, I think, is the real inheritance here.

The previous generations found the sacred in a pen looping "Ram Ram" across a page, syllable by syllable, patience by patience.

Mine finds it in a cursor blinking on a blank Google Doc, waiting to be filled with whatever refuses to stay unsaid.

Different tools, same discipline: showing up, repeating the practice, trusting that meaning accumulates even when it looks like nothing.

Ram Ram or Ctrl+V is all just devotion.

Every generation thinks it has modernized. 

The next generation calls it outdated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHATSAPP FORWARDS

"You will not read any of my WhatsApp messages and so it is useless to send you anything.” My mother said to me. I acknowledged her by my silence mentally reciting," I read all that you sent to me". So, here I am busy reading all about Indian spices and medicinal herbs used as daily household ingredients, thereby indulging in more studies on naturopathy as compared to any other ‘pathy’ which has side effects. I speed dialled my mother when my patient refused to undergo the procedure of scaling to clean her teeth in favour of 'alum', or "phitkari," a desi nuskha. No wonder patients shirk away from scaling. I ruminate. "I just called you up to confirm if you WhatsApped something to my patient "I vented. Ever since, I have been scrolling through all her erstwhile messages to know more about natural healthier medicaments, their benefits and roles in dentistry and health. Oh! WhatsApp was not there when I was a student. No wonder, my gold ...

THE FRUIT OF LABOR

Notification alerts continued one after the other and I knew it had to be my sister. Next morning her WhatsApp did not seem so interesting. Thank God! I never got up at midnight to see these. There were images of mud, plants and potatoes. Nothing new, I put it aside without a thought and sipped my early morning tea. As I read further, scrolling down the images was her excited note on her home grown organic potatoes. Now that was a bait I asked her "miraculous, since when have you started all this". "While composting for my garden I had accidentally left a potato in the garbage ditch. This was my discovery just today" she answered and I could imagine her admiring those potatoes. "Great guns," I responded. The matter rested after this for a few months. The feathers were ruffled again as she posted images of tomato, eggplants and potato plants neatly planted along the sidewalls, her today's endeavor .Thanks to our family group messaging system, ginger a...

INHERITANCE

As a student I had to commute in local buses as prevalent during those times. My wait for the arrival of the next bus forced me to notice an old lady curiously observing me. I pretended to ignore her but still found myself to be a subject of her curiosity. Undeterred she stared, unabashed I turned my back towards her, only to find her blatantly changing sides to face me again. Realizing my awkwardness in avoiding her she questioned me about my grandparents and excitedly mentioned my mother’s name to confirm my filial descent. She then introduced herself as an old neighbour of my grandparents who had seen my mother as a teenager and my resemblance to her. Thank God! I whispered as I took a seat and bade a farewell to my new acquaintance. Genetics and not Facebook turned out to be the most potent tool in uniting the long-lost, figures in my mind.  As I was having my morning walk session, I could see groups of people performing yoga and yet another group indulged in a discourse on a...